Qualifications for Midwifery Expert Witness
A midwifery expert witness in an individual who receives health care records and legal documents related to a negligence claim and gives testimony under oath about midwifery practice. The American College of Nurse-Midwives endorses these qualifications for a midwifery expert witness:
- Graduation from an American College of Nurse-Midwives Division of Accreditation accredited educational program.
- Current certification from the American College of Nurse-Midwives or the American Midwifery Certification Board.
- A minimum of 5 years of midwifery practice experience
- Participation in the Continuing Competency Asessment Program or the Certificate Maintenance Program
- Current licensure to practice midwifery
- Midwifery practice in the area reviewed that is contemporaneous with the claim
- Incorporation of scientific evidence into practice
- Use of the American College of Nurse-Midwives Definition of Midwifery Practice, the Core Competencies for Midwifery Practice, the Standards of Practice, and related documents