Nurses are a vital part of any successful treatment of a patient. When nurses make mistakes that harm patients – whether due to overwork or inattention or misjudgment – that can be grounds for a malpractice lawsuit against the institution employing the nurse, or against the nurse individually.
See these pages on our website for some of the specific nurse errors that can lead to malpractice suits:
- Hospital errors (This also links to our discussions of some of the specific areas where nursing negligence can cause injury to patients.)
- Labor and delivery.
- Infections acquired in the hospital.
- Falls that cause injuries.
- Pressure ulcers (bed sores).
- Medication errors.
- Monitoring vital signs.
Here are some valuable general statements from the American Nurses Association about standards of care and ethical guidelines:
- Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice (also includes Nursing Code of Ethics and Nursing’s Social Policy Statement)
- Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements –
Consult with an Experienced Malpractice Attorney
If you believe you or a family member has been seriously injured from medical malpractice, medical error, or neglect by a doctor, hospital, nurse, clinic, nursing home or other health care provider, you may want to click here to contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney for a free evaluation of your case. You can also email us at email@example.com or call us at 202-742-1500 or 888-625-6635 toll-free. We will respond within 24 hours. There is no charge for our initial consultation.